Public relations respect goes to CNN’s Kyra Phillips, who accidentally left her microphone on during a trip to the bathroom. She engaged in a personal conversation with another woman, which was broadcast live during a presidential speech.
Philips appeared on the “Late Show with David Letterman” to poke fun at herself and deliver the daily top 10 list, laying out her top 10 excuses for allowing her microphone to stay on live in the bathroom.
Here’s the list:
10. “Still haven’t mastered complicated On/Off switch.”
9. “Larry King told me he does this all the time.”
8. “How was I supposed to know we had a reporter embedded in the bathroom?”
7. “I honestly never knew this sort of thing was frowned upon.”
6. “Couldn’t resist chance to win $10,000 on ‘America’s Funniest Home Videos.”‘
5. “I was set up by those bastards at Fox News.”
4. “Oh, like YOU’VE never gone to the bathroom and had it broadcast on national television!”
3. “I just wanted that hunky Lou Dobbs to notice me.”
2. “OK, so I was drunk and couldn’t think straight.”
1. “You have to admit, it made the speech a lot more interesting.”
Philips screwed up by leaving her microphone back on but showed that she can bounce right back into the game by being able to poke fun at the situation and show herself in a friendly, human light.
Not bad for a journalist. Not bad at all.